Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes for February 12, 2024

Renaissance Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Renaissance Community Development District was held on Monday, February 12, 2024 at 9:00 a.m. at the Premier District Management Office, 3820 Colonial Blvd., Suite 101 in Fort Myers, Florida and via web conference.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Doug Dickey – Chair
Sam Martin – Vice Chair
Linda Stuart – Assistant Secretary
George Pattee – Assistant Secretary
Chris Bezaire – Assistant Secretary

Also present were:

Cal Teague – District Manager, Premier District Management (PDM)
Tom Hart – Attorney, Knott-Ebelini-Hart
Melissa Gindling – Assistant District Manager, PDM

Attending remotely were:

Mark McCleary – Engineer, Community Engineering Services
Chris Pepin – Field Manager, Community Field Services

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Renaissance Community Development District (CDD) Board of Supervisors meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The Renaissance Community Development District regular meeting was called to order, and District Manager Cal Teague called the roll. All Board members were present. Also attending were Tom Hart, the Attorney, and Melissa Gindling, the Assistant District Manager. Mark McCleary, the Engineer, and Chris Pepin, the Field Manager, participated remotely.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

On MOTION by Supervisor Stuart, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board approved the Agenda, as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on Agenda items.


A. Items to Be Pulled for Discussion

Supervisor Dickey pulled item 4Dv: Project Tracking Log

B. Motion to Approve Consent Items

On MOTION by Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board approved all items on the Consent Agenda, as presented, after discussion on Item 4Dv: Project Tracking Log.

C. Consideration of Items Pulled for Discussion

Chair Dickey asked why the CDD has not received approval from the County for the LDO, considering it has been over a year since it was submitted. Engineer McCleary clarified that the LDO he submitted covers all lakes and includes 4 options for repair. Engineer McCleary stated that the County has been adding more requirements for Lake 6, and this has caused the delay. He conversed with the County a number of times, but after a recent meeting between him, Attorney Hart, and the County, he expects the LDO to be approved shortly. Attorney Hart commented that some of the County staff seem inexperienced. The Board asked for the project to be placed on the contractor’s schedule for approximately March 18th.

The Board also discussed the installation of several fences in the community that may have been in the CDD easement. It was not clear if all residents had signed an easement use agreement with the CDD for the installation of these fences, which also requires approval from the CDD. The Board suggested that language be provided to the HOA to add to the ARC approval letter relating to the CDD’s easement.

Supervisor Stuart mentioned that a resident had concerns about the number of littorals on Lake 7, and it was suggested that the next planting event could include additional plants in that area.

Vice Chair Martin left the meeting at 9:13 a.m.

D. Consent Items

i. Draft Regular Meeting Minutes from December 11, 2023
ii. Draft Special Meeting Minutes from January 24, 2024
iii. Financial Reports for December 2023
iv. Financial Reports for January 2024

District Manager Teague mentioned that the District is still receiving great interest rates, and the interest income has exceeded the Budget.

v. Project Tracking Log
vi. Lewis Longman Walker 2024 Hourly Billing Rates


A. Golf Course Easement Request/Water Use Permit

Attorney Hart reported that mediation has been scheduled for March 1st.  He also commented that he had instructed the water use permit attorneys to hold off on the permit application for now, until mediation is complete. Engineer McCleary stressed that the permit should not be allowed to expire. After discussion, the Board asked staff to confirm that the CDD is an interested party on the permit through SFWMD.

B. I-75 Wall Repair Improvements

i. Painting Update

Supervisor Pattee stated that he had submitted a proposal from Santiago Painting for $4,500, which District Manager Teague approved and signed. This was returned to Supervisor Pattee, and now the contractor can begin work. Supervisor Pattee reported that painting should begin shortly.

District Manager Teague stated that the insurance paid approximately $65,000 for the wall repairs, which covers the majority of the repairs. He also reported that, although the wall repairs have been complete for several months, the contractor has not sent their final bill. If a bill is not received shortly, staff will pay what they believe is owed per the contract, subtracting the cost of cleaning the construction site, since that was handled by a different contractor.

ii. Acoustic Engineer Scope of Work

At the December meeting, it was decided that Supervisor Stuart will work with Engineer McCleary to define the scope of work for this effort. Supervisor Stuart reported that she had researched different companies. Engineer McCleary and Supervisor Stuart will collaborate, and once the scope of work is complete, it will be given to District Manager Teague, so that the work can be advertised.

C. Lake 6 Shoreline Stabilization Update

This was discussed earlier in the meeting.       


A. Reported Trespassing in Offsite Preserve

Assistant District Manager Gindling reported that she had met with the Lee County Sherriff’s Office and Reflection Isles management regarding this issue. Juveniles with guns have been spotted in the preserve area, and multiple people have also been observed bringing their boats from the Reflection Isles community, through the CDD’s preserve, into a lake owned by the Gateway CDD. She stated LCSO will be conducting a security survey of the area and will provide a report with photos and suggestions for no trespassing signage and possibly a gate. The Board previously approved a budget of $3,000 to resolve this situation.


A. Field Manager’s Report

Field Manager Pepin reviewed his report and the following was discussed:

Field Manager Pepin reported that he has observed some shoreline weeds, but they are minimal.

He reported that one of the contractor’s technicians was using a faulty pump sprayer and herbicide leaked onto the golf course, killing some grass. The contractor has already met with the golf course and offered to pay to replace the sod.

He has observed a lot of trash in the lakes, which could possibly be from construction. The Board asked staff to prepare a notice for the guardhouse that could be handed out to contractors, requesting that they clean up trash daily. The Board also authorized Field Manager Pepin to clean up the trash when it looks unsightly.

Field Manager Pepin stated that many of the aerator issues have been resolved, but the compressor for the aerators on Lake 10 and Lake 03 continue to have issues. He is still troubleshooting the problem with the contractors.

He reported that the midge fly treatment was completed this month.

He stated that he has observed minor exotic growth in the preserves.

He stated that the sod replacement along the perimeter fences is scheduled for April or early May.

Field Manager Pepin stated that he found a small hole in one of the fences along Palomino Lane and will have it repaired. It appears that it has been cut.

He stated that the wood that was blocking the front of some catch basins has been removed.

District Manager Teague stated that it has been reported that there is climbing cassia on the perimeter wall, on the golf course side. The Board asked staff to send a letter to the new golf course supervisor, reminding them to remove the exotic.                          

B. Follow-Up Items

i. Littoral Planting Project

Field Manager Pepin stated that he expects a proposal from Pristine Lakes by the end of the month.

ii. Updated Lake Bank Erosion Report

Field Manager Pepin stated that he has prepared an updated report for the Board, showing the erosion throughout the community. There are two cost summary sheets, one for common ground and the erosion behind residential homes, and the other for erosion along the golf course. The budget used was $40 per foot for basic restoration. The Board asked for a lake restoration plan to be presented at the next meeting.    

iii. Catch Basin Inspection 

Field Manager Pepin reported that MRI conducted an ROV inspection on several structures. All seams had a substantial gap between them, but they are not big enough for possible leaks, and pipe floors had 20% sand and debris. The pipes themselves were in good condition, and the water levels are at the appropriate level for the location of those catch basins. Field Manager Pepin also reported this finding to Val from the HOA.

iv. Lake 10 Fountain  

Field Manager Pepin reported that the fountain has been ordered, and Fountain Kings anticipates installation by the end of the month. The claim is still under review from the insurance company. The Board asked the contractor to ensure that the new fountain is secured in place, since the old one had drifted.       


Attorney Hart reported that Lewis, Longman and Walker had submitted a fee increase, and although they are doing a very good job, their rates are high. He reported that, depending on the mediation results, a shade meeting may be scheduled before the next regular meeting. He explained more about the methodologies that the golf course should provide before the CDD could consider a change of assessment rates.


Engineer McCleary had nothing further to report.


A. FEMA Reimbursement Update

District Manager Teague reported that one other community PDM manages was rejected, and they are appealing. No determination has been made on Renaissance as of yet.

B. Fiscal Year 2025 Budget Schedule

The Budget schedule was included in the packet for the Board’s information, and District Manager Teague stated that a Draft of the Proposed Budget will be presented in April. He noted that staff could use the lake restoration plan for this Proposed Budget, and staff will also present an increase in the litigation line item.                                                        

C. Resolution 2024-03: Confirming Use of Lee County Supervisor of Elections

District Manager Teague reported that Supervisor Pattee and Vice Chair Martin are up for election this year, and they are required to file by June 10th. The Board approved this resolution.

On MOTION by Supervisor Bezaire, seconded by Supervisor Stuart, with all in favor, the Board approved Resolution 2024-03, confirming the use of the Lee County Supervisor of Elections for the District’s elections.

D. Electronic Filing of Form 1

Instructions for e-filing Form 1 were included in the packet for the Board’s information, and Assistant District Manager Gindling stated that the State will send a registration link. She also stated that they have received links for different courses on ethics training. District Manager Teague stated that they will be required to complete ethics training this year and report it on next year’s Form 1.                                         

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests/Comments

Supervisor Stuart commented about water pressure issues in the area.


There were no Audience comments.


On MOTION by Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Stuart, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 10:40 a.m.

The Next Regular Meeting is scheduled for April 8, 2024 at 9:00 a.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair