Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes for December 13, 2021

Renaissance Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Renaissance Community Development District was held on Monday, December 13, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. at the Club at Renaissance on 12801 Renaissance Way in Fort Myers, Florida and via web conference.

Present (or attending via web conference) and constituting a quorum were:

Doug Dickey – Vice Chair
Jim Mercer – Assistant Secretary
John Huether – Assistant Secretary
Sam Martin – Assistant Secretary

Also present (or attending via web conference) were:

Cal Teague – District Manager from Premier District Management (PDM)
Tom Hart – Attorney
Mark McCleary – Engineer
Christopher Dudak – Client Services Manager, PDM

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Renaissance Community Development District (CDD) Board of Supervisors meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The Renaissance Community Development District meeting was called to order, and District Manager Cal Teague called the roll. All Board members were present. Also present were Cal Teague, District Manager, Mark McCleary, Engineer, and Tom Hart, Attorney. Christopher Dudak from PDM attended via web conference.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

On MOTION by Vice Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Martin, with all in favor, the Board agreed to accept the Agenda, as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on the Agenda Items.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Regular Meeting Minutes from October 11, 2021

On MOTION by Supervisor Martin, seconded by Supervisor Mercer, with all in favor, the Draft Regular Meeting Minutes from October 11, 2021 were accepted, as presented.


A. Board Vacancy

There is no candidate to present at this time. District Manager Teague will contact a potential candidate, Pat Butler.

B. Water Use Permit Concerns

i. Recharge Wells Proposal

No proposals had been received, so other contractors need to be approached. Engineer McCleary, District Manager Teague, and possibly Supervisor Huether will contact other contractors.

The Board discussed the fact that the Golf Club has the water use permit, and they wondered if the Club is responsible for the recharge wells. Attorney Hart will research the permit requirements, and find out if the wells are the responsibility of the permit holder. If the Club is responsible, Attorney Hart will see if the Club is responsible for paying to make the recharge wells operational. Engineer McCleary commented that only one of the wells is on CDD property, and the remaining wells are on Club property.


A. Berm Landscape Maintenance Proposals

There were two proposals from Juniper for the Board to consider:

  • Estimate 133091 is for replacing sod that has died due to Juniper equipment parking along the Mall Loop Road, and there will be no charge for this.
  • Estimate 133065 is for replacing dead shrubs along the Mall Loop Berm and at the Palomino Berm, which is the side entrance area, at the cost of $5,284.07.

On MOTION by Vice Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Martin, with all in favor, the Board agreed to accept the proposal from Juniper to replace dead shrubs along the Mall Loop berm and at Palomino berm, contingent upon an operational irrigation system, at the cost of $5,284.07.

B. I-75 Perimeter Wall Five Year Repair Plan

The Board discussed the need for repair of the wall and the different options for improving the wall area. Those options included, placing a fence there with vegetation, replacing or repairing the wall, and removing the wall and replacing it with vegetation. The Board would like to submit these options to the community to see what they would prefer. Field Manager Pepin and Engineer McCleary will continue to research options and costs for this project.

C. Capital Improvement Plan

A plan is being developed, but the status of the bond refinancing needs to be completed to identify revenues available.


A. Fiscal Year 2021 Budget Amendment Resolution 2022-01

District Manager Teague reported that there were overages in the budget caused by the unforeseen costs of preserves cleanup and lake erosion repairs. Therefore, an amendment of the Fiscal Year 2021 budget was needed.

On MOTION by Vice Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Huether, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Fiscal Year 2021 Budget Amendment Resolution 2022-01.

B. Financial Statements for September, October, and November

The Financial Statements were accepted by the Board. Supervisor Martin would like to be involved in the budgeting process. There was no vote.

C. Graffiti Prosecution Update

The State did not prosecute. Since there was no criminal suit, the Board considered fining those responsible and filing a civil suit. However, the cost would be prohibitive. The Board decided to drop the issue.


A. Field Report

District Manager Teague reviewed Field Manager Pepin’s report and the following comments were made and questions asked:

A resident had patched their holiday lights into the compressors on the entrance monument on Lake 12. Vice Chair Dickey will look at this and talk to Jeannie Ruddell.

There was stone removed during construction and placed on the shoreline, and it was placed back on the homeowner’s lot, at the direction of the CDD. It was discovered that resoding the area is the Golf Club’s responsibility, not the CDD. The Club will be contacted to see if they can resod it.

The report states that the Spatter Dock control has improved between November and December.

Vice Chair Dickey commented that the sprayers from Lake Maintenance are still not picking up trash, which is in the contract.

The Board asked about the responsive of Solitude since the last meeting. It was reported that they are honoring the contract, but are still not responding well. When Solitude was Lake and Wetland Management, they would come out in two days, but this is not true with Solitude. District Manager Teague stated that they have been put on notice, and he reported that the staff is looking at other companies. It was suggested that Vice Chair Dickey and Field Manager Pepin meet with them. District Manager Teague will arrange a meeting between Vice Chair Dickey and Solitude’s Regional Manager.

B. Follow-up Items

i. Lake 7 Erosion Project Updates

District Manager Teague had Scott Connell inspect Lake-7 and provide his opinion as to the quality of the work. Field Manager Pepin and Scott both observed that the sod reinstallation was poor, and the contractor was informed of this by Field Manager Pepin. There was also a concern that the slope was not a true 4:1, as was specified in the drawings. Field Manager Pepin and Engineer McCleary will meet with the contractor to discuss these concerns and will also identify what needs to be done to complete the project.

ii. Lake 7 South Washout Repair Update

This project is scheduled to begin later in December. Gonzalo discovered a buried drainpipe that is connected to the downspout at 12571 Vittoria Way which has caused the erosion. He will add a catch basin and extend the drainpipe further into the lake, then they can repair the shoreline with dredgesox.

iii. Golf Course Blowing Grass Clippings into Lakes

Field Manager Pepin spoke to Nick after the last meeting, and he will remind his staff not to blow clippings toward the lakes.

iv. 9609 Via Lago Way Shoreline Resod

Since this area belongs to the Golf Club, the CDD cannot complete this project. There was also a concern that this area is not irrigated, so it would be very difficult for the sod to survive.

v. Cabbage Palm Trimming Proposals

Field Manager Pepin requested proposals from several companies for this project, and two had been received. Chris submitted the low bid at $1,656, and the other bid was for $2,990. The Board awarded the contract to Community Field Services for $18 per tree.


The Board continued the discussion on hardened surfaces along lake shorelines, and how to address residents who had altered the shoreline behind their homes. There was Board discussion on how to word potential letters to residents about the issues.  Supervisor Huether had previously submitted a variance request letter to the county but has not yet received a response. The Board was informed by the Engineer that up to 25% of a lake’s shoreline can be hardened surface according the permit. The Board will discourage additional requests from residents requesting any such modifications going forward.


A. 4:1 Lake Shore Slope Verifications

This was discussed earlier in the meeting.

District Manager Teague mentioned that Engineer McCleary is working on the requirement to submit a stormwater needs analysis 20 plan, according to HB 53, which is due by June, 2022.

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests/Comments

There were no Supervisor requests or comments.


There were no Audience comments.


On MOTION by Vice Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Mercer, with all in favor, the Meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m.

The Next Regular Meeting is February 14, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair