Skip to main content

Draft Meeting Minutes for December 11, 2023

Renaissance Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Renaissance Community Development District was held on Monday, December 11, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. at the Premier District Management Office, 3820 Colonial Blvd., Suite 101 in Fort Myers, Florida and via web conference.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Sam Martin – Vice Chair
Linda Stuart – Assistant Secretary
George Pattee – Assistant Secretary
Chris Bezaire – Assistant Secretary (late arrival)

Also present were:

Cal Teague – District Manager, Premier District Management (PDM)
Tom Hart – Attorney, Knott-Ebelini-Hart (late arrival)
Melissa Gindling – Assistant District Manager, PDM

Attending remotely were:

Mark McCleary – Engineer, Community Engineering Services
Chris Pepin – Field Manager, Community Field Services

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Renaissance Community Development District (CDD) Board of Supervisors meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The Renaissance Community Development District regular meeting was called to order, and District Manager Cal Teague called the roll. Four Board members were present, with Supervisor Bezaire arriving at 9:03, before Agenda item 2. Also attending were Tom Hart, the Attorney, arriving at 9:08, and Melissa Gindling, Assistant District Manager from PDM. Chris Pepin, the Field Manager, and Mark McCleary, the Engineer, participated remotely.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

Add 6B: Request for Temporary Construction Easement from Lee County Utilities.

On MOTION by Supervisor Stuart, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board approved the Agenda, as amended.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on Agenda items.


A. Items to Be Pulled for Discussion

There were no items pulled.

B. Motion to Approve Consent Items

On MOTION by Vice Chair Martin, seconded by Supervisor Bezaire, with all in favor, the Board approved all items on the Consent Agenda, as presented.

C. Consideration of Items Pulled for Discussion

D. Consent Items

i. Draft Regular Meeting Minutes from October 9, 2023
ii. Draft Special Meeting Minutes from November 8, 2023
iii. Financial Reports for October 2023
iv. Financial Reports for November 2023
v. Project Tracking Log


A. Golf Course Easement Request/Water Use Permit

Attorney Hart arrived at 9:08.

The Board was updated on the status of the easement request from the Golf Course. They asked Attorney Hart to direct attorneys Julia Jennison and Michelle Diffenderfer to move forward and submit the water use permit application as a joint permittee status with the Golf Course and the CDD. They also decided to move forward with the easement approval. The Board expressed concern regarding the current condition of the bridge that is part of the easement request, and asked staff to notify Concert Golf that it is advisable to inspect the structure of the bridge.

B. I-75 Wall Repair Update

Field Manager Pepin and Engineer McCleary have inspected the wall repairs and confirmed that they are complete. However, they reported that the contractor left ruts along the grass and some wall debris. Staff asked the contractor to clean up these items by December 13th, and if that is not completed, they will hire another contractor to complete the cleanup and take the cost off the final bill. The Board had no issues with this course of action.

i. Acoustic Engineer Update

Supervisor Stuart reported that she had researched three acoustic engineering firms, including Power Acoustics in Orlando, Kimley-Horn in Fort Myers, and Henderson Engineers in Tampa. The Board discussed contacting the companies, and District Manager Teague and Attorney Hart advised the CDD to place an ad in the paper to advertise for qualifications from interested firms, and then contact the strongest firms for possible proposals. The Board decided to have Supervisor Stuart work with Engineer McCleary to define the scope of work, and then have PDM and Attorney Hart draft the advertisement with the request for proposal.

ii. Vegetation Options for Sound Barrier

This item was tabled until an acoustic engineer is retained.

iii. Berm Mowing Options and Alternatives

This item was tabled until an acoustic engineer is retained.

iv. Additional Repairs/Improvements

The Board discussed painting or spraying the new sections of the wall to color them similarly to the older sections of wall. Supervisor Pattee offered to contact a painter that he is familiar with to get a quote.

C. Lake 6 Shoreline Stabilization Update

Engineer McCleary stated that the County had comments on the submitted LDO, so he and Attorney Hart met with the County to address their concerns. Engineer McCleary intends to re-submit the LDO this week and hopes that the LDO will be approved shortly. If approved, Seabreeze hopes to complete the project in January or February. Approval will also allow the CDD to perform lake maintenance in phases, as the Budget and scheduling allows. Supervisor Pattee and Field Manager Pepin will inspect the project in their January ride-around.


A. Easement Use Agreement with Michael Duke

This homeowner was planning to install a fence in the CDD’s easement. Attorney Hart drafted an easement use agreement, which was sent over to the homeowner. Staff is waiting for the homeowner to sign this document and provide a survey for Board consideration. District Manager Teague noted that the homeowner had been cooperative and had restored the lake bank as required. The Board had no objections to issuing the easement use agreement if all concerns are addressed as has been approved in previous use agreements.

B. Request for Temporary Construction Easement from Lee County Utilities

District Manager Teague stated that Lee County Utilities is planning to install a new potable water main service, which includes a water main in the Mall Loop Road right-of-way, and has requested a temporary construction easement. Attorney Hart noted that this agreement was well written, and the Board approved signing the agreement. 

On MOTION by Supervisor Bezaire, seconded by Supervisor Stuart, with all in favor, the Board approved Lee County Utilities’ installation of a new potable water main service, including a water main in the Mall Loop Road right-of-way,


A. Field Manager’s Report

Field Manager Pepin reviewed his report and the following was discussed:

Field Manager Pepin reported that the lakes are continuing to improve, and there is some spatterdock present.

He stated that there are some aerator issues that the contractors are addressing.

He reported that the previously approved washout repairs should be completed in early January.

He stated that there is an issue with the fountain light in Lake 2, and the contractor is troubleshooting.

He stated that the sod installation will be completed in early spring.

Field Manager Pepin reported that the pine straw project has been completed.

He noted that there are 2 broken irrigation risers along the wall, and he has asked Nick to repair them.

He stated that a piece of wood was inserted in several of the catch basins on Renaissance Way to form the new gutter in front of them, and he has asked Valerie Nolan to have this removed.

He stated that Valerie had noted that some of the catch basins near the entrance of the community are very full of water, and he recommended that they be televised to ensure that there is no blockage. The Board agreed with this course of action.

He noted that several gentlemen had been observed trespassing, and staff will inform Valerie and the guardhouse.

Vice Chair Martin noted that he observed several large trees had been cut down in the preserves, and some debris and palm fronds had been placed in the preserves. Supervisor Pattee volunteered to show these areas to Field Manager Pepin on their ride-around next month. It was suggested that the Golf Course could have cut down the trees, and they will research it further.

It was noted that the algae treatments for the fountains may need to be completed more often, and the Board asked the contractor to provide a proposal for the completion of these treatments quarterly instead of twice a year.  

Vice Chair Martin also noted some midge flies on Lake 9. Field Manager Pepin had received a proposal for treatment just before the meeting, for $4,980. The Board approved this proposal.

On MOTION by Supervisor Stuart, seconded by Supervisor Bezaire, with all in favor, the Board approved treatment for midge flies on Lake 9, not to exceed $4,980.

B. Follow-Up Items

i. Littoral Planting Project

Field Manager Pepin recommended waiting until early spring to install plantings, and he is waiting for a proposal from Pristine Lakes.

ii. Updated Lake Bank Erosion Report

Field Manager Pepin stated that the updated map should be completed by January or February. Supervisor Pattee and Field Manager Pepin will note several areas in the lakes with issues in their January ride-around.


A. Concert Renaissance Lawsuit

Attorney Hart noted that there is no change in the status of the Concert Golf lawsuit since the last meeting. He stated that Attorney Knipe will be filing the answer to the complaint this week. The Board requested a copy of the answer, once it is available. Attorney Hart also advised the Board that they can call him, Attorney Knipe, or District Manager Teague anytime, if they have questions.


Engineer McCleary reported that he continues to submit water quality reports monthly, and there have been no issues. He also suggested that he could make an exhibit of the existing bulkheads for use with Field Manager Pepin’s report. It was decided that Attorney Hart will look at the permit and conservation easement to verify the regulations for the preserves, and decide the course of action regarding the cut-down trees.


A. Supervisor Annual Ethics Training

An overview of training options was included in the packet. District Manager Teague noted that the training will be completed in 2024, and reported on the 2025 Form 1 submittal.

B. FEMA Reimbursement Update

District Manager Teague reported that staff continues to monitor the FEMA Grants Portal for the submission of an “ineligibility determination memo,” and Florida Department of Emergency Management has told staff they will assist us in an appeal, should we receive a denial from FEMA. He stated that no memos have been posted as of yet.

The Board asked staff to add FEMA to the list of approved guests at the guardhouse.

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests/Comments

Vice Chair Martin asked what interest rate the CDD was receiving on its account. District Manager Teague reported that it is 5.03%.


There were no Audience comments.


On MOTION by Supervisor Stuart, seconded by Vice Chair Martin, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m.

The Next Regular Meeting is scheduled for February 12, 2024 at 9:00 a.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair