Skip to main content

Draft Meeting Minutes for February 21, 2023

Renaissance Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Renaissance Community Development District was held on Monday, February 21, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. at the Club at Renaissance on 12801 Renaissance Way in Fort Myers, Florida and via web conference.

Present (or attending via web conference) and constituting a quorum were:

Doug Dickey – Chair
Linda Stuart – Assistant Secretary
George Pattee – Assistant Secretary

Also present (or attending via web conference) were:

Cal Teague – District Manager from Premier District Management (PDM)
Tom Hart – Attorney, Knott, Ebelini, Hart
Michelle Diffenderfer – Attorney, Knott, Ebelini, Hart
Mark McCleary – Engineer, Community Engineering Services
Chris Pepin – Field Manager, Community Field Services
Melissa Gindling – Project Specialist, PDM

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Renaissance Community Development District (CDD) Board of Supervisors meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The Renaissance Community Development District meeting was called to order, and District Manager Cal Teague called the roll. All Board members were present, except Vice Chair Martin, and Supervisor Mercer. Also present was Tom Hart, the Attorney. Michelle Diffenderfer, Attorney, Mark McCleary, the Engineer, Chris Pepin, the Field Manager, and Melissa Gindling from PDM attended via web conference.

District Manager Teague recommended adding a Consent Agenda to the Agenda, which would contain routine items, and which could be pulled for discussion, if requested. The Board agreed to add it going forward.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

On MOTION by Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board approved the Agenda, as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on the Agenda items.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Regular Meeting Minutes from December 12, 2022

Line 41 Change “to get a lower bid” “to “rebuild the fountain”

On MOTION by Supervisor Stuart, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board approved the Draft Meeting Minutes for December 12, 2022, as amended.


A. Lake 6 Shoreline Stabilization Update

Field Manager Pepin stated that Engineer McCleary has submitted the LDO, and the project will start when it is approved.

B. Aeration Upgrade Update

Chris stated that Solitude has been slow in completing their tasks. He stated that the aeration on Lakes 7 and 9 is complete, and they will be completing Lakes 2 and 16 this week. Chris talked with Nick, from the Golf Course, about getting the electrical service into the cabinets on Lake 10 and O3, and he is coordinating their location with him.

C. Lake 8 Fountain Installation Update

Chris stated that the boring for the electrical work is scheduled to be completed during the week of March 6th. The Board agreed that the boring can be done at the same time as that on Lake L-8.

D. Lake 10 N Fountain Installation Proposals

He reported that the payment has been received and boring will be scheduled when the signed proposals have been returned. He is hoping that the boring can be completed at the same time as Lake 8.

E. Golf Course Easement Proposals Update

The regulatory legal professional, Michelle Diffenderfer, stated that she had spoken with the Golf Course’s attorney, informing them that they do not currently have easement rights. She had told the Golf Course what the Board is seeking, and their attorney believed that they would agree to add the District as a co-permittee and to be included in the community wide O & M assessments, which they now are not. The O & M assessment costs that they should pay was discussed, and the Board decided to ask an assessment firm to create an assessment methodology for the next meeting.

F. GIF Proposal

This was not discussed.


A. Fence Installations in CDD Easement

The homeowners requested the installation of a fence that would encroach 10 feet into the easement, and it was discussed if this would leave enough for maintenance. It was determined that it would be enough for routine maintenance, but may not be enough for erosion remediation. It was determined that the homeowners can keep the fence. If they enter into an easement use agreement which states that they must remove it, if needed.

i. 12731 Terabella Way

ii. 12741 Terabella Way

On MOTION by Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Stuart, with all in favor, the Board approved the installation of a fence at 12731 Terabella Way and 12741 Terabella Way. The agreement will stipulate that the fence will not intrude any more than 10′ into the easement, and that the agreement, when executed, will state that they remove the fence, if needed.

B. I-75 Wall Repair Update

The Board requested that the wall repair be completed as soon as possible, and they discussed they possibility of eventual wall replacement. They also requested that the panels that are stored away be used in the repair, if possible. There was discussion on the wall’s anticipated life expectancy, which should be determined by a structural engineer. District Engineer McCleary stated that he believes that this analysis is not necessary, because the foundation is in good condition, and that it is only the panels that are damaged.

There was discussion on preventing the noise from I-75, and if the construction on I-75 will include a sound wall.

On MOTION by Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board approved the repair of the wall, leaving the oak trees, not to exceed $25,000.

C. I-75 Wall Structural Analysis Proposal

District Manager Teague stated that an engineer is conducting a structural analysis of the wall, and District Engineer McCleary is looking for the original design plans to forward to the contractors. District Manager Teague is also expecting the receipt of other proposals for repair.

D. Lake 16 Motor Replacement

Chris stated that the motor is running at high amperage at the fountain, which is usually a sign that it is getting old and needs to be replaced. An estimate for $6,000 was included in the packet. He stated that the motor had been replaced in 2021, and he will check to see if it is still under warranty.

Supervisor Stuart mentioned that residents are unhappy when the fountains are off, and Chris stated that he will be adjusting the timers.


A. Field Manager’s Report

Chris stated that Lake Doctors is performing well, except for treating the spatterdock. The Board would like to find out if they can use backpack sprayers, and Chris will ask for a quote to purchase backpack sprayers, but he expects it to be high. There was discussion on another vendor, Gonzalo, who is no longer under a non-compete requirement, and Chris will also ask him for a quote, because he uses backpack sprayers.

Chris has noted that debris from the hurricane is becoming visible because water levels are lower, and Supervisor Pattee stated that he has seen debris behind his house, which is near Lake 3.

Chris has noted issues with some fountains, which have been reported to Solitude.

Chris stated that Terra Nova has completed the landscaping improvements on the shoreline on Lake 9.

He stated that Juniper has not been efficiently completing their contracted work to maintain the berms, and he believes that he can perform the task at a lower cost, and he stated that he will submit a proposal at the next meeting. The Board agreed.

There was discussion about the new home being built at 9551 Via Lago Way, and Chris stated that a silt barrier had failed in several areas. There is also a concern that the home is being built too close to the CDD easement. The Board asked Engineer McCleary to inspect the property, CDD easement and lake bank and create a diagram to show the homeowner what they need to restore on the lake bank and where they should plant littorals. Then the Board will send a letter with this information to the homeowner and state that the shoreline should be restored.

Supervisor Stuart asked about the large number of broken air stations listed on the log, and she wondered if this will be addressed with the new aeration upgrades that are being completed. Chris stated that it would, and he explained his process for listing aerator needs in the log and for inspecting projects. They also discussed the larger fountains that have more horsepower in their motors.

B. Project Tracking Log

This was included in the packet, and there were no questions.

C. Follow Up Items

i. Storm Drain Inspection Update

The inspection is scheduled to be completed later in the month or in early March.

ii. Hurricane Ian Clean-up

Chris stated that 99% of the vegetation issues have been cleaned up, except for two cabbage palms on Lake 10. He will ask Nick if they have any equipment that can pick these up, but he wants to delay it until there is less activity on the golf course.

He is also having trouble getting tree stumps removed, including those along the I-75 berm.

He stated that the mall loop berm has been restored.

Chris reported that Carter Fence has been onsite, and it was noted that an estimate to replace the perimeter fencing had been received and approved on February 22nd.


Attorney Hart had nothing further to report, other than that which had been discussed earlier in the meeting.


Engineer McCleary had nothing further to report, other than that which had been discussed earlier in the meeting.


A. Financial Reports for December 2022 and January 2023

District Manager Teague reviewed the Financials, and he stated that they have received 89% of the assessments. He noted that they have earned over $15,000 in interest in the cash balance. He stated that the construction fund has $10,259 and the O & M fund is $5,200.

On MOTION by Supervisor Stuart, seconded by Chair Dickey, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Financial Reports for December 2022 and January 2023, as submitted.

B. Financial 3-year Review

District Manager Teague stated that this will be presented at the next meeting.

C. FY 2024 Budget Schedule

This was included in the packet. District Manager Teague stated that the proposed Budget must be approved by June 15, and they will have a public hearing for the adoption of the Budget at the August meeting. He stated that they cannot increase the assessments after they approve a proposed Budget.

On MOTION by Supervisor Stuart, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Fiscal Year 2024 Budget Schedule.

D. FEMA Reimbursement

District Manager Teague provided an updated tracking sheet on the FEMA submissions, and he stated that they will be submitting at least a $78,000 reimbursement request as of now. District Manager Teague stated that the grant writer they have retained could submit the wall repair to FEMA for reimbursement, and he stated that they will receive a percentage of the return. The Board agreed to use their services and requested a contract.

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests/Comments

Chair Dickey commented that he would like the fence repair approved as soon as possible. He was also concerned about the removal of the oak trees before the I-75 wall repair.

Supervisor Stuart requested that page numbers be included on support materials in the Agenda.

Supervisor Pattee commented on a vegetation barrier along Palomino, and it will be discussed at a future meeting.


There were no Audience Comments.


On MOTION by Chair Dickey, seconded by Supervisor Pattee, with all in favor, the Board agreed to adjourn at 10:41 a.m.

The Next Regular Meeting is scheduled for April 10, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair